Women and Girls in Georgia is committed to providing an inclusive, accessible, environmentally friendly, and economically viable experience for our conference attendees.
Please consider our sustainable practices listed below.
Communications and Printing:
- The majority of our outreach is being done electronically.
- We have drastically reduced our printing, but any paper materials that have been printed were done so on 30% recycled paper and will be recycled post-use.
- We encourage conference attendees to bring your own resources, such as pens, pencils, note pads, etc.
- Keynote speakers and presenters will be asked to minimize physical handouts. We will help them to make handouts available electronically.
- Name badges will be recyclable. Please return name badge holders to the registration desk, or with any volunteer, before you leave.
- All event signage will be recycled and/or reused.
Food & Drink:
- Food and drink will be sourced locally.
- Vegetarian options will be available.
- Plates, cutlery, and other materials will be washable and re-usable.
- An exact food order will be made for the number of attendees to reduce the amount of surplus food.
- We encourage the coordination of ride-shares and room-shares.
- Connect with other conference attendees to find roommates and rides on the WAGG Twitter account. Be safe!
- UGA's Interactive Campus Map allows you to find sidewalks, bike racks, and other accessability needs.
- We have consciously worked to list hotels within walking distance to campus to cut down transportation needs. For more information on Lodging, click here.
- Bike Athens provides a bike map of Athens (click here to download).
- Athens and UGA transit information is available here.
- If you have to drive, accelerating and braking smoothly and keeping your tires full of air will save you gasoline and reduce the amount of carbon you pumped into the atmosphere.
- We encourage and promote the use of the newly redesigned WAGG website, which is mobile-device friendly and prevents the need for unnecessary printing of the conference program. If you do not have access to a mobile device, there will be an option on your registration form to request a printed program (which will be printed on recycled paper). We encourage all who request a printed program to recycle it post-use.
- We encourage conference attendees to bring your own reusable water bottles and coffee mugs.
- Waste and recycling receptacles are located throughout the venue including in each session room, bathrooms, and lunch area.
The University of Georgia campus is a tobacco-free campus. Click here to see full policy.
These practices were modeled after the AASHE Conference. Please contact us at WAGGconf@gmail.com with any questions, concerns, or suggestions. We'd love to hear your ideas regarding additional sustainable practices you think we should consider!